Source: Corriente Revolucionaria Bolívar y Zamora / The Dawn News / May 30, 2018
“We are not doing enough and what we do isn’t being done well, we need to make a great change, a deep re-learning, we need to do the things in a new and better way” said president Nicolás Maduro in his oath to the National Constituent Assembly (ANC).
Indeed we have achieved a historic victory at the polls, and likewise there are some rectifications that we must make urgently in a national and international context of great complexity. We need to do more and do it better, and for that President Maduro has suggested 6 lines of action that we must discuss and promote.
1. In the first place, Maduro called for dialogue and peacemaking, along with the call for the formation of a truth and justice commission of the National Constituent Assembly, in order to overcome the wounds left by the guarimbas, conspiracies, and to advance with the peacemaking policies and meetings, so that those people who haven’t committed major crimes, are incorporated into the political life of the country.
We believe that together with this policy it is necessary to open a dialogue with the people, a policy of regional meetings with the grassroots organized in their different forms, in assemblies. This would prove that the government is listening to the people, actively seeking out the problems, listening to criticism, and not only organizing close events in Caracas. At this stage, we need to solve the problems of the whole, create spaces to promote people’s solutions in coordination with the Government, and this has, as Hugo Chavez taught, a necessary territorial dimension.
2. Secondly, the President referred to the need to advance in a productive economic agreement for the sustained stabilization and recovery of economic growth. He referred to the necessary production of national and international wealth and to the satisfaction of the daily material needs of our people, and the strengthening of mechanisms such as the Local Committees for Supply and Production (CLAP), people’s markets, recovery of the municipal markets that have fallen into the hands of mafias.
We believe that in order to achieve this essential agreement we must build a necessary consensus with all sectors of the economy, where we build an economic policy to solve the major problems, instabilities and imbalances. This is a space with the government, small, medium and large entrepreneurs, workers, sectors of the social economy like communes, to build a plan that attacks the major macroeconomic problems that are the basis of the economic crisis. This step will recognize the different people, their own mistakes, disposition for rectification, based on the economy we want: diverse, humanist, with an efficient state that regulates that guarantees strategic objectives, and promotes and supports the other forms of economy, such as social and private.
3. In the third point, Maduro referred to the renewed and frontal struggle against all forms of corruption, minimalism and bureaucracy, and the construction of a new civic, patriotic, social ethic. His diagnosis is that we have had an ethical setback.
We see that in order to move towards this goal, it is necessary to move towards the democratic transformation of the state. It means, among other things, strengthening the mechanisms of people’s control and vigilance, transforming the system of administration of justice. We think that forms of democratic control could be proposed on instances of administration of justice, for example, that senior prosecutors and judicial circuit managers are directly and secretly elected and are subject to revocation. We need to reinvigorate the social comptroller, create a national body of social comptrollership, which, together with the anti-corruption police, build a surveillance system.
Next to that, it is necessary to question the privileges of the leadership and the bureaucracy, the excessive expenditure in the area of state for the life of those occupying positions of direction, a central element at the time of building the example of an ethical redirection. We cannot have leaders who live in such a way that is away from the realities of our people.
4. Fourthly he referred to the strengthening of system of security, protection and people’s power. The hospital system, as well as the missions, the employment, the national identity card, the Barrio Adentro social welfare project that brings health care and other services to poor neighborhoods, and the housing and social welfare projects, like Barrio Nuevo, Barrio Tricolor.
We believe that it is necessary to initiate a National Emergency Plan, which takes into account other areas, the education system, health care system, electronic and telecommunication system, as well as the increase in food production. It is a matter of promoting an emergency policy in a context of great difficulty for our people. We cannot appeal to mechanisms of normalcy in times of war.
5. In the fifth place, Maduro raised the defense of Venezuela and of State institutions against the attacks of Imperialism. This is in the context of intensification of international sanctions that hit the Venezuelan people, who survive from their jobs, they have prevented them from getting money and making necessary imports. He stressed the importance of alliances with countries for the defense of Venezuela, and called on people to be alert to provocations from the border with Colombia plotted by Juan Manuel Santos who will be president until August 7.
In this scenario, we see the need to reinvigorate the preparation of the people’s plan for national defense, the training of the National Bolivarian Militia of Venezuela. It must be taken to the fifth component to give it more operational and military capacity to strengthen the defense system of the nation. We believe that we must debate the doctrine of security and defense to incorporate all sectors to security and defense and update the doctrine in light of the changes that have been happening in the world and in the strategic adversary. For example, the change of the Colombian armed force that in this new stage has been considering reorienting its role and within that, the alliance with NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization).
6. Lastly, the president stressed the need to continue with the strategic direction: Chavista and Bolivarian socialism, which must be multi-dimensional, in other words, ethically, moral and spiritual, politically, ideological and institutional, socially, economical and territorial.
We believe it is necessary for us to progress in the intensification of revolutionary democracy, through a plan of reinvigoration of all forms of people’s empowerment that has given birth to the revolution: reinvigoration of communes, communal councils, workers’ council, students, technical roundtables on water, the profound experiences, that were practiced in the previous period. We must progress in the system of people’s government, and for that, we must evaluate, revise and update. It is about democratizing the whole society, participation of people in decision making, progressing in political revolution.
These are some points that we believe are necessary to advance in the directions proposed by Nicolás Maduro. The answer to the situation that we live must be a more collective construction than ever: only Chavismo will save the revolution, and we all are Chavismo who day by day are constructing the homeland that comrade Chávez entrusted to us. The time is now.